What to pack for a safari in Tanzania?
Preparing to travel to Africa for a long trip can be challenging. Don’t get stressed on what to pack. Keep it simple.
On most safaris, it’s going to be hot, so bring sun protection and choose lightweight clothes in neutral colors. These natural colors help you blend into the wild. Temperatures can drop at night, so a long sleeved shirts and long trousers are also important. Wear several layers that you can take off or add to as needed. Keep in mind that the amount of luggage you can bring on the smaller planes and safari vehicles is limited, so don’t overpack. You will probably use only about half of what you brought anyway. Note that in Arusha there are some larger grocery stores and pharmacies where you still can buy many things if necessary.
Safari packing list
- One small day pack
- Lip Balm with SPF
- Bug spray (DEET)
- Anti-malarial meds (check with travel doctor before your trip)
- Insect repellent
- Basic toiletries
- Spare memory card
- Sunhat or cap
- Universal adaptors
- First aid kit: painkillers, antidiarrheal, hand sanitizer, malaria medication, anti-bacterial medicine.
Clothes and shoes
- Good pair of trainers/sneakers or hiking shoes
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Cotton clothes in light tones
- Shorts, t-shirts (3 pair)
- Long sleeved shirts and a pair of long trousers
- Waterproof jacket
- Fleece or light sweater
- Passport (valid a minimum of 6 months prior to entry)
- Flight tickets
- Tanzanian visa (you can get it on arrival at the airport for USD50)